An introduction to the Foundation
The need for an organization to disseminate information on the work of George Boole and of the evolution in practical applications arising from his work is important for the following reasons:
The advancing significance of decision analysis
1. Boole's method of reduction used in the design of electrical circuits has endured for over 75 years. Even today the efficient design of smaller and higher performance circuits still relies upon Boolean logic and the process of Boolean reduction.
2. The interest in 5th Generation computers, expert systems and knowledge based engineering during the 1980s served to expose the foresight of George Boole. George Boole originally identified his calculus and mathematical logic as a result of having set out to explain how humans use knowledge of relationships to take decisions on the basis of a deductive process. Boole had sought to work out how people think and how they infer and arrive at conclusions under circumstances of varying probabilities of events. This provided the main foundation for modern decision analysis and artificial intelligence.
As decisions become more complex with globalization the need for more effective development in low income countries has given rise to such initiatives as Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals. These cover 17 critical themes where more effort is required to improve the wellbeing of populations.
Sustainability is based on a complex of technical, economic, environmental and social factors which require effective analysis so as to design effective projects. Projects need to be relevant to needs, effective and efficient as well as have impact on the identified needs and be sustainable. Decision analysis has a vital role in applying logic to any process that reduces the use of resources, to lower costs and minimize the risks of achieving objectives.
In spite of George Boole's vitally important work there is no national institution established in his honour which disseminates information on his contributions as well as assist industry, governance and society as a whole, take full advantage of the benefits to be derived from the broader application of decision analysis where the central operational functions make use of Boolean Logic. The George Boole Foundation aims to establish an Institute which will carry the name of George Boole to commemorate his contribution as well as promote and disseminate useful information on his work. In order to achieve this the George Boole Foundation is preparing to launched the following activities, centred at a new Boolean Library:
- The publication and dissemination of leading edge publications on applied decision analysis designed to improve understanding on this important topic
- Online, fee-based services designed to improve the performance of users
- Passing on the proceeds from the online service income to support the establishment of The George Boole Institute by 2020 or thereabouts
- Continue to manage the Decision Analysis Initiative and in particular the Open Quality Standards Intiative as well as extension, training, seminars, workshops & demonstrations
- Continue the work of The Boolean Society (publication series)
Details on the complementary role of each of these activities can be found under The GB Institute Appeal
. Information on the opportunities to benefit from the use of online services can be found in the section with the menu title Online services